Russia's national football team completed the UEFA Euro 2020 qualification round on Tuesday, the 19th of November, by beating San Marino national 5-0 in an away match in Serravalle.
Russia national team coach Stanislav Cherchesov took questions from journalists at a press conference after the match.
- That was a fine match. We came out well motivated and wished to please the spectators with many goals. And that worked fine.
- Why were there so many changes in the starting lineup?
- Some of the changes were made due to medical reasons. And then, we have already solved our tasks. We would have made certain changes irrespective of the result. Zhirkov had to sit out due to an injury and we gave Belyaev and Shunin a chance to demonstrate their skills. They have been with the team for almost a year now and the circumstances were just right for their appearance in the line-up. I am also glad that Komlichenko and Petrov scored their first goals for the national team.
- Bakaev played in three different positions. Where did you find him more efficient?
- He played on the left flank when he was fresher in the first half and he was very active. We knew how to move and find free spaces over there and gave him our directions accordingly. But we better keep from hasty conclusions. We watched him play in all possible positions and the time will tell which is the best. He somehow seemed to be slightly uncomfortable midfield. Looks like he is more comfortable as a winger.
- What can you say about Miranchuk's performance in the last two matches?
- Aleksey indeed appeared in both matches, partly due to Golovin's absence. We do not hurry and provide opportunities for everybody to show their worth. Same goes for Bakaev - we were getting him closer and closer to the starting lineup and now he made an appearance. Same thing about Belyaev and Shunin. We do our best to make sure that timing is best for players to come out. We don't want to throw anybody into the fray as they rather complete adaptation first. So let's wait and see. I said today that this year is over. And we will start evaluating them again next year. We will have a training camp in March and then the Euro 2020 will follow. The squad will be made of the best players, irrespective of their appearances in qualification matches. The past is the past and the future is in future.
- Belgium and Denmark are already known to be in the same group with Russia at Euro. What can you say about our group?
- Both teams are very good as no weak teams qualify to Euro. We will now have to find out the fourth team in our group and make our preparations accordingly.